Saturday, March 5, 2011

Warning: Austria may contain schnitzel, operas, and a man named Arnold.

Savannah and I found ourselves in Vienna on February 21 just for a very short two days. We were mainly going to Austria to see our friend, Marlene who was a student with us at Capernwray but she lived in Graz where it was a little more expensive to fly into so we stopped in Vienna first and then took a train to Graz. All I've heard about Vienna is that it is beautiful so I was looking forward to it and I was also looking forward to hearing German again since I spent five weeks in Germany and have been a little Germany sick lately. Unfortunately, Vienna was grey and miserably cold. It's true, Savannah and I were actually miserable on our one sightseeing day in Vienna but I saw the city's potential (everyone keeps asking why we're travelling in the winter and that we should come again in the summer sometime) and we did enjoy some fantastic schnitzel. Man, I love that stuff. That evening we also went to an opera for only four euros or something ridiculous like that. We saw "The Flying Dutchman" and had to stand the whole time but four euros? Totally worth  the aching legs (I was close to some stairs that I sat on every now and then so I kind of cheated...shhh). The next day we hopped on a train to Graz, also known as the city where Arnold Schwarzeneger grew up. Savannah was really excited about this and ecstatic when one day we actually went to see the house where his mother gave birth to him and the lake where he proposed to his wife. The house is soon to be a museum and looks like it's ready to go with a big 'A' on one door handle and an 'S' on the other and the silhouette of what looks to be a wax sculpture of Arnold himself through the window. If you are interested in visiting this museum, the word on the street is Arnold is coming over in the summer for the grand opening! How wonderful.
We had a super time with Marlene and enjoyed being able to catch up after not seeing eachother for four years. One afternoon we just laid on the couch talking for four hours! The city of Graz is really nice too. I had never heard of it but it is worth a visit for sure if you are in Austria.
Well, this is brief but maybe it's about time for a short but sweet post. Stay tuned for Italy!

1 comment:

  1. I still can't believe you can reserve STANDING space at an opera - cracks me up!! And only Karin Vallee would dare to sit down on the stairs at an elegant opera :) Love you.

    ReplyDelete