Thursday, October 21, 2010

The French Finale

Tonight was the last theme meal night to my little sisters disappointment I leave in seven days and time is getting a little tight. I mean I'd say I'm pretty prepared but...7 DAYS!!! So, I decided tonight was the last and we finished up French style. Just me, Terry and my parents. I looked in a Bon Appetit magazine that I had that had some french recipes but I just wasn't digging them. So I did an internet search and found something called  Croque Monsieur. I am glad this isn't a french class oral exam because I have no idea how you'd pronouce that. Good thing I'm just typing here.  This is a little something the website had to say, "Found all over France today, the Croque Monsieur - casually referred to as a Croque - has as many recipes and variations as it has cooks. The crunchy sandwich is served as an appetizer, snack, or casual meal." These sandwiches apparently usually contain some kind of meat and cheese and whatever else. I decided to do one with a slice of apple, a little mayo, parmesan salami and applewood smoked cheddar all broiled on top of a fresh homemade slice of bagette. Mmm...soo good! The website suggested a roasted cauliflower soup which was nice and simple. I just roasted some cauliflower, fried off some onions and garlic, added it all together with some chicken broth, water and heavy cream and salt and pepper to taste. Not bad, not bad. Some meals we've had wine, some we haven't. This one being French and the last, I had to get some. I scoped the french section at the liquor store and found a Mommessin white wine called Cuvee Saint Pierre. Really nice actually and was the first time that I could really tell that the wine enhanched the flavour of what I was eating.


After the main dish we decided to take a stroll down dessert lane and of course indulged in some crepes. Crepes with nutella smothered inside accompanied with some warm raspberries, strawberries, and banana slices. They were what I like to call amazing. Can't go wrong with Nutella. Check it out...


So that was the night, delicious as can be. I can't wait to go to a local market and pick up a bagette with some meat and cheese for lunch and have a picnic. On second thought, it might be too cold for a picnic but I'll see what I can do! I have to do it atleast once even if there are icicles breaking off of my nose! Well, thank you for reading my food adventures and I hope it gives you some inspiration for cooking at home. There are so many yummy things out there!

The Vallee Fam - minus two.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, this sounds fantastic! All of a sudden I'm feeling quite hungry :)

    ReplyDelete