Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Goodbye Canada, hellooo Europe!


         Well folks, the time has come, and this may just be my last blog post on Canadian soil. I leave this country in two days now. I started this blog on July 28th, maybe a little too early in some opinions but what can I say? I was excited. Now three months later I am nearly packed up and ready to go. Nervous but by far way more excited. What am I nervous about? Mostly the unknown. I've lived very comfortablely in a lot of ways for a while and now it's like I'm entering a whole new world kind of like Aladdin and Jasmine. Okay, maybe not quite but that song definately entered my mind just as I wrote that. Essentially, every day is new, no day is like the other but there can be this thing called routine and I don't think I will experiencing any routine on this trip whatsoever. So that has the potential to be somewhat stretching but at the same time I love that. Other things on my mind is my mind. The forgetful part of my mind. I like to live easy and laid back, trying not to worry about every little detail but that unfortunately usually ends up in a case of, "Has anyone seen my keys?" or "Crap, I forgot my wallet again." These items have been ever so faithful to return back to me. One time I thought I officially lost my keys, like by no chance were they coming back. After the first month of hoping they'd return from their long lost journey I decided to get a new pair. Well, I ended up losing those ones too and as I was looking for them I ended up finding my old ones! How that works, I don't know. Eventually the other set showed up too. I've been fortunate but I'm not so sure this will be the case in Europe especially after everyone tells me about the thieves and pit-pocketers. My oh my. This has my parents slightly worried and has my brain working double time as I train it to remember important things like keys, wallet, PASSPORT! Last week I was at church so my bible accompanied me there of course but little to my knowledge it did not accompany me back home. I could not find it a couple days later but I was sure that it was not at the church. I mean really, you sit down, you stand up to sing, you sit down, you stand up to sing, you sit down and then you stand up to leave. There's alot of up and down but no moving around. How hard can it be to forget your bible? Well, just a couple days ago I got an email from the secretary that I know well and she wrote, "Karin, your bible was found at the church!" Haha, typical me. And then there was the time just a couple nights ago where my parents, Terry and I went out for supper. The victim this time: my bag. We had an enjoyable supper, funny waitress, yummy food, some laughs, good time. Luckily the resturaunt wasn't too far from home because when we arrived home I realized that I had left my bag there which held my wallet which held some cash and important things like a credit card. I went back, got it, everything was fine but needless to say, none of this boosted my parents confidence in my ability to keep track of my belongings. I got a gentle parental speech. So, my money belt and I will be well acquainted by the end of this trip. That will be another I have to think about, though. Take out enough money before the day begins and put it in a safe, secure pocket but that is still easily accessible. This will prevent me from reaching down my pants in public when wanting to buy a simple coffee. Smart move, I know.
         Another thing that has been on my mind is my bladder. Sorry if I startled you there but apparently there are a lot of places in Europe that charge you for using the bathroom. Anything to make a little cash I guess. I experienced this in Mexico once but it sounds like it's quite the thing in Europe too. The reason why this is on my mind is because if you know me well I pee alot. Like alot. And it makes me wonder what the percentage of bladder infections are like there. If I had to pay to pee I'd be holding that pee more often then I should. It is highly likely that cranberry juice and I will be good friends by the end of this trip.
         Well, with all that being said, I'd say I'm prepared to go and so excited. I have never emailed so many people than I have this last month. Figuring out plans and a route and all that jazz. So many people have been so incredibly helpful to find me places to stay or to allow me to stay their house and I can't wait to see them all in person! I doubt I will be blogging as often as I have been these last months but when I get a chance I will update you all  and post photos as that is the point of this whole blog.
        Before I sign off of this post I have some bible verses and quotes that I have found encouraging as I've been preparing for this adventure and so I will leave you with those and hope they are an encouragement to you as well.
    
         So long and farewell!

"And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect." -Romans 12:2

"For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them." -Ephesians 2:10

"Your travel life has the aspect of a dream. It is something outside the normal, yet you are in it. It is peopled with characters you have never seen before and in all probability will never see again. It brings occasional homesickness, and loneliness, and pangs of longing... But you are like the Vikings who have gone into a world of adventure, and home is not home until you return." -Agatha Christie

3 comments:

  1. Lose anything yet? Had to pay to pee yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, i knew you'd ask me that eventually. believe it or not, i have not lost one thing yet! i am so excited. i check everything like a gazillion times. maybe this trip will cure my problem. yesterday was sadly, the first time i had to pay to pee. i really wanted to hold out but, tired, hungry, bladder bursting female, after 10 hours of travel in a snowy train station...well lets just say, desperate times call for desperate measures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How much was the pee? Was it worth it :)?

    And, I have to say I am mighty impressed you haven't lost anything yet! Nice work Kare-bare!

    ReplyDelete