Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Salmon + England + Birthdays = A Good Time!

                             English Cuisine




Me and Sherri-Lee
Last night was the Vallee residence's second ethnic meal night! I decided to go with the country, England. My first idea was to do a roast, mashed potatoes, some sort of cooked vegtable and yorkshire puddings. Mmm...I LOVE yorkshire puddings! My second idea was fish and chips with mushy peas. I decided to go with fish and chips which was a good thing because the night before, we were invited to my neighbours house for dinner and ate almost the exact same roast meal. And so I headed even more confidently into my fish and chips endeavor! I gave it a little 'Karin' twist, though and instead of breading some halibut to later deep fry it and buying fries from the freezer section I got some fresh sockeye salmon and cut up some Vallee grown potatoes straight from my dad's garden. One thing I haven't mentioned yet is that it was also my mom's birthday so I had to make sure it was nice and so I also thought to myself, 'Is mushy peas really the best idea to try out tonight?'. Now, maybe the English would say, in a heavy accent of course, "You betcha, mate!" but having never made or tried them before and knowing the Vallee family I decided to go with some diced carrots added to some frozen mixed vegtables. I fried the potatoes in some olive oil and sprinkled them with salt and pepper. The salmon was baked at 350 degrees F and then drizzled with some garlic lemon butter with a bit of garlic powder and dried onion flakes. Can't forget the salt and pepper too! It was delicious. To finish off the meal we had birthday cake of course. I doubt it was english but it was definately my mom's favourite. Chocolate cake with dates in the middle and boiled icing draped over top.

Happy Birthday Mom!

That day I also took a visit to the Liquor Store for some wine. Last time I was there in the European section I failed to notice if there was any wine from England but it doesn't really seem like their thing anyway. Do they even have the weather for it? Well I decided to head to the British Columbia section seeing as the first word in British Columbia is BRITISH and we got the queen thing going on and all. I walked out with a Painted Turtle red wine that is supposed to be good with fish. I can't say how it tastes because my sister, Heather ended up bringing some wine for supper but the purple bottle looks pretty cool on the wine rack right now.

Guests of the evening? Heather came up again and the newest member of the Vallee residence, Sherri-Lee joined us too. My dad was sadly not there but out of all of us there that night he was probably living it up english style the most. Yes, it's true, he is actually in England this very moment. I am so excited for him!

After some gift opening we finished off the night with no, not the movies, 'Nottinghill' or 'Love Actually' but  instead, 'Leap Year' a movie that takes place in Ireland. I know. I saw it on the weekend and fell in love with this movie and also with Matthew Goode. It is one of the cutest, funniest and heart fluttering romantic comedies I have ever seen. It is a must see!

So England Night ended in an Irish sort of way but it was still a wonderful night. Yummy fish, good company, good laughs, good times!

Cheerio!

3 comments:

  1. That cake looks delicious!! I've never heard of dates in a chocolate cake before, but sounds like something I would like... do you pick the dates out kare-bare?

    ReplyDelete
  2. hah it does sound like that something you"d like. and you know me too well....definately picked them out. i think my whole family does except for my mom and dad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're too bad! Okay, so we've warmed you up to raisin's... we'll have to work on dates next (the edible kind, not the kind where you get all dressed up for a boy, those ones are overrated!) hehe, just being cynical :)

    ReplyDelete