Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Schnitzel For Four!

                                  
                     

                                   The day I met Schnitzel

              Schnitzel - a word I had heard often tossed around by german students at bible school. "I love schnitzel, it is so good!" Schnitzel this, schnitzel that. What the flip is schnitzel? In retrospect, maybe I should have asked Julie Andrews, ya know, since it's one of her favourite things and all.  I eventually clued in to that it was a german meat dish that apparently was delicious. I left it at that but I was still curious. Then one day, just over a year ago, a man who I worked on staff with was talking about schnitzel, no he isn't german, and I said, "Oh, I've never tried it before but I would love to!" And he replied with, "Oh there's a great place I know of, we should get a group together and go for schnitzel!" And so we did and it was love at first taste. It was also at a Swiss restaraunt but we'll just leave that part out of the story. Not long after, the head cook at the bible school I worked at decided to try making schnitzel for supper. Did I mention there were 140 people at supper? This was not going to be the fastest task in the world. Big pork loins were sliced into maybe half inch pieces and then each individual piece had to have the living daylights pounded out of it until it was flat and beautiful. Beauty is pain people. And so the head cook started away with the mundane and may I add, noisy task. I was busy doing something else but when I was done I offered to help. I was excited to help, very excited because I was grumpy that day. Very grumpy. It had been a long time since I had been that angry. Needless to say, I was ready to hit something that I wouldn't get thrown into jail for. My boss said, "Um, I don't think you want to do this. " And I replied, "Trust me, I want to." So, we pounded away! Talk about great therapy. If you're ever tempted to take your anger out on anyone, don't, just make schnitzel! And so, that is the story of how Karin met Schnitzel. Supper turned out great by the way.
               Are you wondering how tonight went? Well, I'd love to tell you. It was German night and can you guess what I made? Schnitzel!!! I sliced two boneless pork loin chops in half, not the prettiest cut, but I never said I was a butcher. I then dipped them in flour, then whisked egg, and finished off in a bread crumb mix. Then fried them in nice, hot olive oil! Served with the schnitzel was roasted potatoes. Germans are apparently big on potatoes just like the English and Irish. Sauerkraut is huge too but I looked up recipes and found out I needed some kind of fermentation machinery? I don't know.  Maybe there's another way to do it but that turned me off from even trying. Then I came across a recipe for braised red cabbage which had the same appearance of sauerkraut. I didn't put half of the ingredients in it because of laziness but it actually turned out not bad. It was a low key supper, just myself, Terry, my mom and Sheri-Lee but enjoyable! Here are some photos and guten nacht!




2 comments:

  1. If you're interested in reading this post again, just replace the word german to austrian and all will be well in the world again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum... my favorite part of this post was 'beauty is pain people' - made me smile!

    Oh, and don't worry, I replaced German with Austrian the first time through :)

    ReplyDelete