Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Germany thus far: Yoghurt, bikes, chocolate, bakeries, and friends!


                    




I am in Germany now and what I can say is so far so good! I think I am getting passed the overwhelming feeling of being surrounded by everything German and not having a clue what anything says. I now have a greater appreciation for all the foreign students who attended Capernwray Bible school. It's hard enough knowing what a simple sign says here let alone an hour long lecture on the book of Revelation in a foreign language. The average english speaking student had a hard enough time in that class! Anyway, with that being said I am actually enjoying not understanding much (though it makes me nervous in the train station). By the second day I already had german running through my head. I have no clue what I was saying, it could've been giberish for all I know, but it sounded german! I like the language, though and am picking it up pretty quickly (or so I like to think). We'll see at the end of five weeks.  I've enjoyed watching some german television, especially when it's the american shows dubbed over with german. I never thought I'd see the the day that Fran from The Nanny would be speaking german. Haha, too funny.
Nordkirchen Castle-this reminded me of the horse people in Fantasia
at the lake in Münster
During my walk around the lake
At the lake as well
Nordkirchen Castle
So, to give you a little run-down of what I've been up to. I landed in Dusseldorf  six days ago where my friend, Stephanie met me. The plane was a little early and she wasn't there yet so I went to a little grocery store close by and bought some raspberries. The cashier then told me how much they were in german and that's when it hit me, 'Oh man, I really am in Germany. Yikes!' Stephanie then arrived and we headed to Münster (yes, on the autobahn!). I really enjoyed Münster! It is the city of many bikes, that's for sure and TONS of bakeries but maybe that is like a lot of cities, I'm not sure but I was still amazed. I walked around the pretty city for about four hours, the last hour being spent finding my way back home. Yep, definately did not have a map. The next day I walked around the lake that was close by. It was about an hour and a beautiful day to take pictures! Stephanie was off on saturday so she took me to Nordkirchen (I think?) Castle where she went to school. It was pouring rain and I was stupid enough to wear the worst shoes ever but other than having soaking feet, it was nice. We drove through some towns and then headed home. On sunday I hopped on the train to Mainz to see my friend, Andrea. I was thankful that I had no connections to make because the speaker guy translated only in a couple times in english. I sat beside a girl my age who spoke very good english and was very friendly so she helped me out. We talked about two hours straight until she had to get off. I think we would have been good friends! The last hour was so enjoyable as well. We rode along the Rhein river which was absolutely beautiful! I kind of wish I took photos but I just wanted to sit there and take it all in, plus it doesn't really do it justice when you take a photo from inside a train. But it was sunny and the houses along the water were so adorable, it almost reminded me of White Rock, BC but different of course. On some steeper hills it looked like there were some sorts of vineyards or orchards and then on some edges of cliffs there would be old castle ruins. It was picturesque! Tomorrow I am heading into the city of Mainz and you can walk over to the river so I'm hoping it will be just as nice and I can take some photos. I have mostly been relaxing otherwise at Andrea's but we did go for a nice walk today too. She has done very well to make sure I try lots of german foods. Germany is spoiling me. Yummy cheese and meat on top of german bread! Did I mention that the yoghurt selection here is astounding? On top of all your fruity flavours, you've got: chocolate, mocha, caramel, walnut, macadamia, hazelnut, chocolate chunks, marzipan, cinnamon, in more than one brand too. The list goes on and it is the smoothest yoghurt I've ever had. I won't pretend to think it's healthy for me but I will enjoy it while I'm here. If yoghurt didn't have to be refridgerated, I would bring some back for you all. There are also loads of different kinds of cheeses as well. And they aren't in some seperate section away from the cheddar and mozzarella that might as well be called the 'Expensive Section'. Nope, they are all together and not very expensive at all. I almost cried when I saw mascarpone cheese for only 1.29 euros today. And you can't go wrong with german chocolate. I will definately be bringing some of that home! So, that is all for now. Just a peak into my german adventure thus far. Only six days in and thirty-one more to go! Love it :)
Stephanie and I enjoying a meal

Downtown Münster


Andrea and I on a walk in Mainz

Enjoying Fall in Germany!









4 comments:

  1. Keep living the dream fulfilled! Yup - I'm a little jealous, but I had plenty adventures of my own and I'm soooo excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe that you and Andrea are together and I'm not there... so sad. I send you BOTH a big hug from canada, and cuddles for Andrea... but I know you don't like those much, so I send you the message that indeed my new favorite song is 'ordinary people', I listen to it almost daily. That's as good as a cuddle right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey! i know...but we thought and spoke of you quite often! you must go see her! i'm glad you like the song! and remember...cuddling - it's all about the mood! haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes yes... I know... you have to be in 'the mood' to do just about ANYTHING!! :)

    AND - I do hope to go visit that sweet Andrea one of these days, glad you two had a nice time!

    ReplyDelete