Thursday, November 25, 2010

In the land of Nutella



I am on week number three now out of my five weeks in Germany and am still enjoying it very much. I have loved every city I have been in - Münster, Mainz, Heidelberg, Pforzheim, and now Stuttgart. Each one is so unique in it's architecture and history. Münster for instance is one of the oldest cities in Germany and very beautiful. Pforzheim on the otherhand is not very beautiful but I still appreciated it because of it's history. It was actually a very important city before World War Two but unfortunately because of its importance it was bombed big time. Eight-five percent of the city was destroyed in about ten minutes if I remember correctly. It was rebuilt quickly afterwards but so quickly that the buildings don't do much for the eyes now. I have been enjoying walking around the different cities and doing the odd touristy thing here and there but mostly have enjoyed being able to visit with friends that I haven't seen for a while. This has been really nice because I often feel tired and don't want to pack my days full of random things that make my brain tired unless it's something I really, really want to see of course. I am thankful I have six months which allows me to spread things out a bit and have a good amount of lazy days!

So after I left Mainz I headed down to Heidelberg which may just be my favourite city yet.  I was in the downtown area every day I was there, it was great! The day I arrived, my friend, Simone picked me up at the train station, dropped my bag off at her house and then we headed to straight to Heidelberg Castle. The Castle is seated on hill looking over the city and it is beautiful, ruins and all. We didn't go inside but that didn't bother me one bit because of how impressive the outside already was!
Simone and I across the 'Old Bridge' with Heidelberg Castle in the background


Castle ruins
The next day I did a little bit of shopping on the main street of Heidelberg, also Europe's longest mainstreet. I also visited the Documentation of Sinti and Roma, also known as the 'gypsies' during World War Two. I am becoming more and more interested in World War Two history so I was glad to have an oppurtunity to learn more about it in Heidelberg. Different lives and events were documented of the Sinti and Roma as they were persecuted by the Nazi's just like the Jews. There were many nice family photographs displayed that were taken before the war along with some very graphic and sad photographs taken during or after the war. There are two things that hit me the most. There was a picture of a lady standing in almost the exact same spot as Simone and I are in the photo above with Heidelberg Castle in the back ground. Beside her picture it was written that she was killed in a concentration camp. History has a way of becoming alive when you are standing right there. The second thing was a story of a village of about ninety people who were all murdered except for one five year old girl who was able to escape. They never said how or who found her but I was so interested to know about such a miracle. 

 I met a good number of Simone's friends who were wonderful and very easy to be around. She lived with four other girls so it brought me back to my not so distant past of when I did the same. The first night I was there they held a Bible study where I met a girl, Christa, who ended up hiking up 'Philosopher's Way' with me. After you walk over the 'Old Bridge' you head up a steep and narrow path which then leads into the forest which then takes you up to an old amphitheatre which was used for something that I forget (silly me!) and also for propaganda by the Nazi's. After the amphitheatre you can walk up a bit more to some monastery ruins. This place was old, like really old. As I walked down into one area that looked mysterious I said, "I love walking down into things!" because there were so many little rooms and then I shocked myself as I realized I just stepped foot into a room with one large tomb that had the date 1012. Almost a thousand years ago!
Needless to say, this is probably one of the best hikes I've ever been on. So intriguingly beautiful!



The 'Old Bridge'





On the top of the amphitheatre
Through the 'Philosopher's Way'


Pforzheim was a short but sweet stop and very low key which was super nice. I stayed with Jonas who I worked with in the kitchen at Capernwray and his wife, Sharlie also from Capernwray. Sharlie's sister was also there who has been travelling Europe a bit so it was fun to talk to her about different things. The first night I was there we went to the Christmas Market. It had just opened that day and it was my first one ever so I was very excited especially after hearing so many people talk about them! One day I went to the city's library and just wrote and read. Yep, not joking about the low key time. Very enjoyable couple days with some good laughs!
At the Christmas Market eating Langos (basically deep fried dough and not german, I think. We had nutella on ours!)

I am now in Stuttgart with my friend, Juliana. After arriving at the train station we went up to the top of the station to get a view of the city. There is also a big Mercedes symbol on the top! We then browsed the Christmas Market which was just opening that day and walked down the main street and got my bearings for when I would go back in on my own which was today! Oh and I have to tell you...I was paying for my underground train ticket into the city this morning at the machine and the man beside me was having trouble with his machine and then he said something in german so I said, "I'm sorry, I don't speak german." and I am getting a little tired of saying this as it happens so often but I was suddenly caught off guard when he replied, "Oh, I am English!" It warmed my heart so much to hear english and to be able to help him with his ticket where I am usually the helpless one.   I did some shopping for some warmer and more practical items for winter! Packing my backpack may be a little more interesting this time. This evening we went to the Broadcasting Tower where you can go to the top and see the city. Just before we headed up it started snowing, it was so great! It was way too fun being at the top with the snow flying in your face and way too cold as well! There is a nice, little cafe inside where we were able to get some hot chocolate which was just what we needed. 


On top of the train station
Train station from the main street


Stuttgart art
Stuttgart Broadcasting Tower





Two thumbs up at the top!





Okay! That is all for now! I will keep you posted as more adventures come about. Guten nacht! (or good night!)


1 comment:

  1. Sounds like some super sweet adventures! Now I'm jealous you got to be with Mone without me... but it makes me smile to see you two fabulous ladies on that bridge together... love you both!

    ReplyDelete