Sunday, March 27, 2011

Sooo... I may have met someone.

Many of you wondered, predicted and joked around about me meeting a special someone while I travelled the continent of Europe. Well, I am here to tell you that you may have just been right about something!
It all began on the island of Santorini in Greece. I was warned very much about the Greeks and their passionate ways but there was something different about this one. So kind and friendly but not creepy at all. Savannah and I decided to go to the town of Oia one day on the northern tip of the island and also where the movie 'Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants' was filmed. When you think of Greece you probably think of the white buildings and the blue water and it is most likely because you have seen pictures of Oia. It is also known for it's incredible sunset which we planned to end our time there with after exploring the gorgeous town. After our pita wraps we headed to a castle like structure where many other tourists and some locals had gathered to take in the  sunset view. Savannah and I chatted and laughed  about various things as we waited patiently for the show to begin. We were even lucky enough to hear a girl singing to herself 'A Whole New World' as she looked over the vibrant blue waters. We think she was having a special moment. I had a good chuckle but little did I know I was about to embark on my very own special moment. All of a sudden there was someone sitting beside me. He glanced over to look at me. I looked at him and boy was he cute. He was pretty quiet but we got along well and really enjoyed eachothers company. When I found out his name I was a bit surprised because it didn't sound Greek at all. His name is Hachiko and instantly I felt a connection because it is a Japanese name and I took 3 years of Japanese. The sunset was amazing and it was so nice to meet Hachiko but he had to go and Savannah and I also had to catch our bus. I was a little sad to part ways but I thought what is the likelihood of us seeing eachother again anyways considering I am from Canada. But little did I know I was to see Hachiko again. Twice. It was a couple of days later and Savannah and I were going to rent an ATV and head to the other end of the island to visit the beaches. To rent the ATV, our villa calls a company, they send a guy to pick us up and then drives us into Fira (the capital of the island and the town we are closest to) where we then go through process of renting. As we drove into Fira I could have sworn I saw Hachiko walk right by us but I couldn't tell for certain. I was so excited, though and I looked back at Savannah and asked if she thought it was him. She just laughed. Even though the island is small and the towns are small, I had a hard time believing he would come all the way to Fira (a 25 minute drive) and be there at the exact time and place that I was. Oh well. Savannah and I had a pretty good day driving around the island, taking in beautiful views of Perissa and Akrotiki beach but the sun soon began to go down so we thought we should start heading back. Savannah had some postcards to mail in Fira so we made a stop there before going to our villa. I stayed on the ATV while she walked over to the postbox. As I was sitting there thinking about the day and whatnot, would you believe it, Hachiko started walking straight towards me. 'It was him that I saw earlier!' A huge grin came over my face. He said hi and stood by me for a bit but I was just so much in shock I just couldn't believe it was actually him. I thought my brain was playing tricks on me. You have to understand, I really, really liked him but there was just no thought in my mind that made me think I would ever see him again. He got a little closer and had this look in his eyes. If I was going to be serious about this I had to stop my brain from playing tricks. So I made a bold move. I moved a little closer to him as well, put my hand around his neck, grabbed his collar and checked his tag. It said Hachiko. It was him and he was the cutest dog I had ever met!

5 comments:

  1. I knew it wasn't a for real guy but you had me in suspense till the last line trying to figure out what you were talking about.....too funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. KARIN!!! I am way too gullible for this

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hah - nice try! GREAT story though... are you going to become an author of romance novels?? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. its been a life long dream of mine actually. they will all be about dogs, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. glad ya'll enjoyed it as much as i did writing it!

    ReplyDelete