Wednesday, March 30, 2011

A Greek Holiday

To end mine and Savannahs time together we decided to to stay in one place for a longer period of time since we were pretty tired from going nonstop for two months. We both were dying to see Greece so this is where we headed. We thought about visiting a number of islands since we had two weeks but ferry schedules seemed complicated with it being the off season and to be honest, after four months of planning and thinking way too much, I was ready to not problem solve and was happy to stay on one island. So Santorini it was. The film location of Sisterhood and the Travelling Pants and probably the most popular tourist destination in Greece. Its unbelieveably beautiful so I dont blame it for being a tourist magnet but I was glad to be there when there wasnt an overload of tourists. The only bummer about it being the off season as well was things like visiting the volcano and going on a boat tour around the island were not yet up and running. We survived, though with probably a little too much relaxing, I was getting a bit antsy, but we also did some beach visiting and went to the town of Oia which I described in my last post and where I met the wonderful, Hachiko. We stayed in a Villa which is common at least on Santorini. They dont really do the hostel thing. It was nice except that it was about an hour walk to the nearest beach and 15 minute walk into the closest town which was kind of annoying for me because I like easy access to places but because the couple that ran this place were incredibly amazing, no exaggeration, I still loved being there. This couple are on the list of nicest people I have ever met. Typical friendly greeks! When we arrived we were welcomed with big smiles, spanakopita and a glass a wine. Ya...amazing. We also got knocks on our door every now and then with deliveries of some of their dinner leftovers. Fresh greek home cooking for free! Not bad I tell you. Savannah also celebrated her 25th birthday while we were there which contained of a jump in the pool which by the way was the only pool we saw on the island that was filled and we saw alot. Savannah was ecstatic about this since swimming in a pool was on her list of things to do in Greece. The swimming kind of turned into jumping in and getting straight out because it was still quite cold but I must give her credit, she did jump in five times all for the sake of getting a good photo...I wasnt being a very good photographer. I also jumped in, but only twice. It wasnt my birthday. Most people were surprised we would stay that long on Santorini but my favourite reaction was the guy that worked at the first resturaunt we went to, probably our second day we were there. A week and a half into our stay we drove by in our ATV and he yelled, "Youre still here?!" You kinda had to be there. We had some warm days and some cold days but pretty well every day I was out on our balcony eating my breakfast. Those were probably some of my favourite moments.
Anyway, just arrived in Portugal and Im hhhuuunnngry so im gonna check out. If youre a grammar junkie, sorry about all the missing punctuation. If theres one thing Im not going to miss about visiting foreign countries it is that every country has there own version of a keyboard and I cant figure out how to do an apostrophe. Thats all.

1 comment: