Saturday, August 21, 2010

Sight Number Four: Santorini, Greece


Santorini, Greece



White buildings, blue water - everyone seems to be in love with these two things when they think of Greece and I am no exception. I can't completely remember when I decided that this was a must-see country for me. Okay maybe I can. I think it was probably some time after I watched 'Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants' which just sounds so uninspiring to me. I wish I could say, "My great-great-great grandparents grew up in Greece, right on the island of Santorini and life was difficult for them but they lived long full lives and always smiled at the face of hardship. And now I will trace back in time, walking the very paths that they did so long ago". Um...or not. The closest thing I am to Greek is my dark hair and the fact that I absolutely love souvlaki. The ancient grandparent story is not my story.  I owe alot of my desire to Blake Lively, Alexis Bledel, America Ferrera, and Amber Tamblyn. But really, who doesn't want to go to Greece? Nearly everyone who has travelled Europe has said Greece is their favourite country. I have a feeling this may be the same for me as well. My hope is to finish off here in April so it will be nice and warm after my cold European winter. And maybe I will even spend my 25th birthday here! Oh the possibilities. As for Santorini, everyone says its beautiful and really captures the whole white buildings, blue water deal and also at this point it is safe. Once upon a time Savannah emailed me once and said, "How about we go to Santorini?" I think she was definately on to something. 

Perhaps I will ride a donkey??

Well, I decided to do something different instead of some Rick Steves. I decided to play a clip of the film, 'Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants'. Alexis Bledel's story actually does take place on the island of Santorini and this clip shows alot of the scenery and culture so if you were never into this movie and never plan to be, ignore the cheesy (but heart-fluttering) storyline and enjoy the view.

2 comments:

  1. Memories of movie nights at Harbourview... you were this girl right? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. aw good times, ya i think i was her

    ReplyDelete