Saturday, August 14, 2010

Sight Number Three: The Normandy Coast, France



D-day Beach

Chaotic, bloody, and utterly noisy was this beach on June 6, 1944. It was D-day, the day that began the liberation of Europe from the German Nazis in WWll. The Americans had Utah and Omaha beach in the west, the British were at Gold and Sword and the Canadians were positioned at Juno Beach. I believe about 4000 soldiers died, american, canadian and british combined but they were still victorious. It was such an important day in history and I want to see at least one of those beaches to help me get more of a glimpse of what WWll was all about. I don't know which museum I will visit but apparently there is only one Canadian one in Normandy. Maybe I will end up there but wherever I go I hope to learn more about this day and the soldiers who risked and even lost their lives. I really don't know much but it is intriguing and I do love the 1998 film, 'Saving Private Ryan' which its opening scene is the American soldiers arriving on their ships to the beach seen below. There are a couple photos I put on here, one from 'Saving Private Ryan' (both on the left) and then a very similar one but the real deal (on the right).





        
So, I am sure this will be a very intriguing visit and an eye opening one at that. I think it's crazy to be standing in the same spot where something so significant and real happened. Yep, I am looking forward to that. 


Check out Rick Steve's great clip on this topic : D-day, Normandy, France



1 comment:

  1. Ah yes... anything to do with history and war to keep us entertained for hours!

    ReplyDelete